Tuesday, September 6, 2011


This week is a week of change – all for good but all with long roads of pain, sweat, and tears.

This week we started:
-transitioning Bria to her crib to sleep at night.
-working out at the apartment gym.
-the beginning of our strict weekly meal plan.

CRIB TRANSITIONING
I’m jealous of those ladies who have babies that sleep in their cribs without a problem. Heck, if she would sleep in a bassinet/on the couch/in a rocker/in a swing I would be happy! But no ma’am… my dear daughter loves to sleep ON ME and nothing else will do. Sure, she’ll go a few minutes, maybe even an hour sleeping else where but if she wakes up and realizes she’s not in mommy’s arms then there is an atomic meltdown. Unfortunately for her mommy is going back to work next month and would really like to lay down flat, in her own bed SO we started the transition. First of all let me say that when I have my next baby I will let him/her sleep in the nursery every night while we’re at the hospital; my daughter’s love of sleeping on me was probably my own fault. I let her get used to sleeping on me in the hospital and I should have started her right away in the bassinet. But anyway, too late for regrets. The first night (Monday) was not much of a success. The first half of the night wasn’t too bad; I got B to sleep after our bedtime routine and she slept on/off for a few hours. When she woke up she would grunt herself back to sleep. All good. But the second half of the night we weren’t so lucky. At one point she woke up and grunt herself back to sleep so she started wailing. I came to the rescue, calmed her down, got her back into a deep sleep but as soon as she hit the bed she would wake and freak. This went on from about 1am til 6am, at which point I gave up and let her sleep with me until 9am. Needless to say mommy is pretty tired today.

But we’re not giving up! Night two will be commencing shortly (bath time in about 2 hours) and I’m hoping the rest of the week yields some sleeping results! Please cross your fingers, say a prayer, and don’t call me. LOL… I have a feeling I’m gonna be dead to the world until this sleeping business gets sorted out.

WORKING OUT
My mom came over after school today (3pm ish) and per our agreement, she watched B for about 2 hours (actually we agreed on 1 hour but I lost track of time). During that time Michael and I worked out in the apartment gym (and we made a Target run, tanned, and showered, which is why I went over so far on time). I’m proud to say I achieved my daily goal of running 1 mile, albeit slowly. I ran said mile in 20 minutes (groan) and then followed up with some weight training and basic side crunches. We won’t get another chance to work out until next week (while my mom, dad, and brother go to IL for my cousin’s wedding (ARTHUR AND CYNTHIA: I WISH I COULD BE THERE!!!!!!). Next week our workout schedule will be as follows: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday my mom will come to the apartment for an hour while Michael and I work out. On the off days we’ll either go to Shelby Farms or workout at home. Either way I LOVE the burn! It was rough getting back in the gym, considering it’s been over a year since the last time I was in a gym. But the clean, open, tired-because-I-worked-hard burn is awesome!


MEAL PLAN
Michael and I sat down last week and wrote out a meal plan that we are going to follow until…… who knows when. This will allow us to watch our calories and our pocketbooks. When we know what we need to eat it makes preparing daily meals easier, and shopping for groceries easier too.

Monday – Salad with chicken
Tuesday – Chicken with veggies
Wednesday – Fish Day
Thursday – Turkey Day
Friday – Quiche Day
Saturday – Chicken with veggies
Sunday – FREE

Monday is pretty straight forward; we make a salad and grill some chicken to top it. Easy, healthy, and yummy. We’re experimenting with different dressings and different chicken marinades.

Tuesday/Saturday is pretty straight forward too; we prepare chicken (usually marinated and grilled) and some type of vegetable. We have peas, green beans, beans, potatoes, etc. Another easy meal. The only creative side to this dish is the marinade.

Wednesday is salmon or tilapia night! We can cook the fish anyway that we come up with, and we may also incorporate a salad or healthy carb on the side.

Thursday is turkey day and we most likely mean ground turkey. We’ll most likely make ground turkey burgers on these days but we may also make a pasta or stew or soup, etc.

Friday is quiche day! I experimented with my first quiche this past weekend and now that I know how easy and delicious quiche is I am ready for more! We can experiment with a variety of veggies and meats.

Sunday is a free day so whatever we come up with we can eat. Lately we’ve used some gift cards on the Free Days; but just because it’s free doesn’t mean we can’t eat healthy!


With that all said, I can’t say that we have truly had many amazing dishes so far. They’re pretty basic but when we do hit a high note on a recipe I’ll be sure to post it for all to see.

To start off the recipe sharing right, here is the quiche and crust recipe that was a hit for us this past weekend…



QUCIK N EASY QUICHE CRUST (note; I have to triple this recipe to make enough)
Ingredients
1 C. flour
½ tsp salt
¼ C. olive oil
¼ C. ice water

Directions
1.     Mix flour and salt with fork.
2.     Beat oil and water with fork to thicken.
3.     Pour into flour and mix with fork.
4.     Press into pie pan. Now it’s ready to fill with quiche filling and bake.

EASY BROCCOLI QUICHE
Ingredients
2 Tbl butter
1 onion, minced
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 C. chopped broccoli
1 unbaked pie crust
1.2 C. Shredded mozz. Cheese
4 eggs, beaten
1.2 C. milk
1 tsp salt
1.2 tsp b. pepper
1 Tbl butter, melted

Directions
1.     Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2.     Over medium-low heat melt butter in saucepan. Add onions, garlic, and broccoli. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until veggies are soft. Spoon veggies into pie crust and sprinkle with cheese.
3.     Combine eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in melted butter. Pour egg mixture over veggies and cheese.
4.     Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until center has set.

No comments:

Post a Comment